Sweet potato and pumpkin tajine with chickpeas and spice bulgur
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tsp Ras el-Hanout spice
- 200 g chickpeas, cooked
- 500 g tomato polpa from the jar
- Salt, ground pepper
- ½ lemon, juice
- a handful of parsley,freshly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
for the bulgur
- 150 g bulgur
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Medjool date
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 50 g pistachios
- a handful of parsley, freshly chopped
- salt, pepper from the mill
- ½ organic lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a tajine (or a large pan with a lid). Sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Add Ras-el Hanout spice and sugar and let caramelize slightly.
- Peel sweet potato and pumpkin, dice finely, dice apple as well. Add to the tajine and sweat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir well. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes from the jar and 100 ml of water and simmer the tajine covered for 15 minutes at low heat.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season the tajine well once again.
- Bring bulgur to a boil with double the amount of water, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and finely chopped date. Add salt and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Coarsely chop cashews and pistachios and toast in a pan. Cut cranberries into fine pieces.
- Mix in olive oil, roasted nuts, cranberries and freshly chopped parsley. Season again with salt, pepper and lemon juice + lemon zest.