CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT COOKIES WITH CARAMEL FILLING
Lena from Mein leckeres Leben (My Delicious Life) shares with us her recipe for this popular cookie from her festive kitchen.
For ca. 50 cookies
- 125 g soft butter
- 100 g fine raw cane sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 200 g spelt flour
- 50 g ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp tartar baking powder
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 150-180 g caramel cream
- 80 g raw cane sugar
- 125 g cream
- Beat all the ingredientstogether and knead into a dough (I prefer to do this in a mixer).
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Spread a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
- Form little cookie balls out of the dough. Then place them spread out on the baking paper lined baking tray. Use your finger to make an indent in the centre of each cookie (it should be nice and deep so that there is enough space for the filling).
- Then bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes (Make sure it is not too dark).
- When the cookies are baked, take them out and let them cool.
- Now fill a piping bag or small plastic bag with the tip snipped off with caramel cream and squeeze the caramel cream into the wells. Then let the cookies dry.
For the caramel cream
- Let the sugar caramelise to a light brown colour in a saucepan. Do not stir. (Just wait until the sugar has dissolved, but keep an eye on it as the sugar can quickly become too dark).
- Pour in the cream and bring to a boil until caramel cream is formed (approx. 10 minutes on low heat). Then let the caramel cream cool.
AND ON THE DINNER TABLE.