Green spring soup with fennel-casqued dumplings
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
For the soup:
- ¼ stick leek
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 floury potato
- 1 small broccoli
- ½ fennel bulb
- 150 g peas, frozen
- Two handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 150-200 ml whipped cream
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
- salt, ground pepper
For the cheese dumplings:
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- 400-500 g stale bread, e.g. ciabatta or baguette
- 200 ml milk
- 150 g mountain cheese
- grated 1 organic lemon
- ½ bunch of parsley or chervil
- salt, pepper from the mill
- Some butter or olive oil for frying
- For the dumplings, chop the bread and place in a bowl.
- Finely dice the fennel bulb, onion and garlic cloves. Heat some olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic and fennel. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the mixture to the bread cubes.
- Heat the milk and add it to the bread mixture. Add eggs, freshly grated cheese, freshly chopped herbs and lemon zest. Season again to taste. Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat some oil or butter in a frying pan. Shape the mixture into round balls and place them in the pan. Fry over medium heat for 3-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- For the soup, finely dice the leek and garlic. Heat some oil in a pot. Sauté leek and garlic.
- Peel and chop the potato. Cut broccoli (with the stalk) into small pieces, as well as the fennel. Add everything to the pot and sauté briefly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water or vegetable broth to cover the vegetables. Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, spinach leaves and whipping cream and blend or puree to a fine cream soup. Depending on the consistency, add some vegetable stock or milk. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.